Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My Baby's All Grown Up!!

That's right...my oldest son, Austin, is 18 today!!  He joked last night that he wanted to see me cry this morning before he left for school (he seems to think it's funny when his old mom cries over 'silly stuff').  Well, I was too busy fussing at my youngest to get his tail in gear so that they could leave for school on time...the realization that my oldest son is legally an adult today didn't hit until after they left for school.  And yes, the tears came.  lol 

I have to say that being a parent has been the hardest and most rewarding thing for me--ever.  To be perfectly honest, I still have days...lots of them...when I question my parenting abilities.  I have no idea what the heck to do with my boys sometimes.  I guess that's what happens when you start having kids at an early age...you have all the love in the world for your child, but no earthly idea how to raise them.  I was 16 when I got pregnant with Austin and 17 when I had him.  Our family has always struggled along and I've always done what I could, when I could and as best as I could.  My only hope is that I have prepared my amazingly sweet and caring son to be a happy, healthy and productive member of our community.  I know I've been hard on him, but it's only been in an effort to teach him.  My fingers are crossed that as he finishes his senior year of high school and starts making adult decisions, he makes good ones that will keep him on the path to happiness.

So, I love you, Austin and I'm off to make your brownie cake and get things together for your Chicken Alfredo for dinner!!  Happy Birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment